Sexual & Relational Diversity 101 – August 18th
When: August 18, 2018; 9 am – 1:30 pm
Where: Philip RUSH Center 1530 Dekalb Avenue NE, Suite A, Atlanta, GA 30307
Cost: $80 for 4 CE workshop registration until June 30, 2018
- $110 after June 30 ($40 for students with valid student ID**)
Presenters: Angelique L. Burke, MS, EdS, LPC, and Anna Baxter, LPC
Despite efforts to maintain non-judgmental attitudes, most mental health professionals know so little about sexual and relational diversity that their responses to clients who “come out” to them can range from off-putting surprise to a disapproval that has anecdotally even done damage to clients, and created barriers to future treatment. We hope to prevent these experiences by educating mental health professionals in the areas of sexual and relational diversity – specifically alternative relationship structures (consensual power dynamics and/or non-monogamy), considerations of relational attraction, sexual orientation and identity. Presenters have been selected from local professionals with experience in treating these populations. This workshop will include two presentations, providing a total of four CEs* (pending approval).
- 8:00am – Setup (staff, sponsors and volunteers.)
- 8:30am – 9:00am- Check- In
- 8:55am – Welcome from REF – Scarlett Ross
- 9:00am – 10:30am – Session 1
- 10:30am – 10:45 am – Break
- 10:45am – 12:15 pm – Session 2
- 12:15 am – 12:30pm – Break
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm – Session 3
- 1:30pm – 2:00pm Collect CE documentation, networking
Please join us in August 2018 and share with any friends or colleagues who may be interested!
- Participants will be able to describe sexual and relational diversity as alternatives to heterocentric, monocentric and gender binary stereotypes promulgated by many social norms.
- Participants will Engage in experiential dialogues regarding personal values around relationships and how they may experience these into the room with a non-monogamous client
- Participants will be able to critique personal biases regarding BDSM, and will learn ways to support clients and/or make appropriate referrals.
- Participants will apply tools, skills, and best practices on how to talk to clients about sex, intimacy, and relationships as they apply to Lifestyle, BDSM, Kink, and Non-monogamy.
*CEs Pending approval: for SWs, LPCs, LMFTs
- (GPA CEs will be available at the November 2018 event)
Cancellations up to 48 hours prior to the event will incur a $25.00 Administrative fee.
Cancellations within 48 Hours of the event will not be refunded.